Pages

23.4.12

Vegging Out


Rewind back to 3 months ago, I was a full-fledged, proper carnivore. It's impossible to count how many times the words, "with bacon," came out of my mouth through my meat-craving lips. Despite the whole bacon craze, I was generally a very healthy eater as I'm obsessed with veggies like kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and eggplant. My affinity for fennel is steadily growing as we speak. But I did love my meats. Lamb kebabs, roasted duck, lechon, pancetta - the whole shebang.

While I was in India though, eating only vegetarian food for almost two months, having lengthy discussions with my teachers and fellow students during satsang and meditating a lot about it, I've become a non-meat eater (I do still eat the occasional seafood). It was neither an overnight decision nor a forced one. It just happened organically and is still evolving day by day. I'm still exploring it and defining it and trying to verbalize why I'm not eating meat anymore. One solid reason is because my body doesn't crave it anymore. Second reason, I feel healthier than ever. Third...that's the one I'm working on; the mental/psychological reason. I still appreciate that meat tastes good. Oh yeah, I remember. And I completely understand the need to take life to survive. 

I guess that's just it. In the current state I am in, eating meat is a luxury, not a necessity. There are alternate ways to nourish myself without having to take a life, so I guess I choose what I'm comfortable with. Geez, I'm realizing what we eat is such a personal thing. And I feel like it's constantly changing; at least for most people. 

Sorry about my rambling. By no means am I trying to impose my beliefs on anyone through this post. Simply sorting out my thoughts and understanding myself better. I, too, am a witness to where my eating habits take my beliefs/thoughts and vice versa. Like I said, I am still eating the occasional seafood. I think it's because I still see it as a necessity.

Interesting, how humans work. 

No comments: