Pages

11.1.11

5 things that make me happy

When the year first started, and it took a while to admit this to myself by the way, I, for some reason or another, was not pleased. While others were merrily making new year resolutions or excited for new beginnings and new chances, I had a cloud of doom over my head. Of course no one really noticed because I'm a ninja. But really, despite all the loved ones around me and all the great things that were happening in my life, I just couldn't help but feel the weight of the negative things that had happened and were continuing to happen to me and my family. 

This all changed a couple days ago due to a few words on some post-it notes I found. While I was sifting through a random box of journals and letters, I found a colorful stack of sticky post-it notes. Each post-it had a date written on the bottom right hand corner, the first date starting on August 13, 2009. More importantly, neatly written on every post-it was a list -- a list of 5 things that made me happy each day. 

As simple and repetitive most of my reasons for being happy were in the past, reading them and remembering them made me appreciative and happy in the now. Funny how something so ethereal as memories and something so easily dismissed as a few happy words...can be so powerful.

I started writing these post-its again. Brene Browne was definitely onto something when she said in her TED talk,

"word choice determines thought choice, which then determines emotions and actions." 
---

In case you were wondering what my lists looked like, I've typed them out below (I've been working on creating electronic copies of all my notes/journal entries/etc)



8/13/9 
Making smoothies and edible goodies with the magic bullet
Nerdy, educational, story-telling podcasts
Getting thing's in the mail (Gen's postcards!)
Getting to know my coworkers better and vice versa
Comfortable, twirly skirts

8/14/9
My new apartment and how it's close to the farmer's market
Love my room smelling like banana cream pie
Unlimited amount of tea at work
Perfect weather for driving with windows down
Getting to know coworkers
extras: booking my flight home for thanksgiving, my brother

8/15/9
Brendan's talent and persistence
Dad!
Foxy and how she looks when her pink tongue juts out
Feeling energetic after work
BBQ and watching Shawn of the Dead with close friends
extra: plants! lots of pretty green plants!

8/16/9
Coming home to Foxy and plants
Having Korean food
Contributing for something good
California weather
Resolving fights quickly

8/17/9
Great customer service
An understanding boss
An overly caring mom
An unconditionally loving dog
Entertaining roommates

8/18/9
Going on lovely strolls with Foxy
Getting paid
Planning get-aways with MM
Eating a lot then actually working out
Being really productive at work
extra: using up products

8/19/9
Free food
Making new friends
Snuggling with Foxy
Warm bed on a cold day
Listening to podcasts while working out

8/20/9
Experiencing new things (picketing against racist movies)
Just resting with MM
When working out feels like it's making a difference
Bed warmer
Ear plugs

8/21/9
Foxy
Food blogs
Music
Pretty designs
Funny blogs

8/22/9
Being creative
Releasing stress through art
Driving on the 1 fwy by the beach
Shopping by myself and taking my time
Holga!

8/23/9
Getting acknowledged
Making good food
Eating healthy
Staying in bed and being lazy
Having excuses for eating chocolate

8/24/9
Making plans with people I love
Joking
Weekends! Weekends!!!
When Foxy wags her tail like mad
Sugar

8/25/9
Finding raw talent on youtube
Saying no to sweets. And then eating it anyhow.
Smart Foxy. Sneaky Foxy
Forgiving friends. Forgiving roommates. Forgiving Foxy
Disney songs on the way to work
extra: unplanned deep conversation

8/26/9
Random acts of kindness
Foodie friends
Lavendar+vanilla combo
Bumping into old friends
Cooking!

8/27/9
Really really really awesome musicians
Being able to connect folks together
Chapstick and yummy smelling lotion on a dry day
Having a boss who cares
Being part of something

8/28/9
My family
Cold showers on a hot day
Vanilla scented everything
Etiquette
Getting mail from friends all over the world
extra: applesauce

8/29/9
Successfully networking with key folks
Bonding with coworkers
Trying new things 
Having parallel thoughts with MM
Sending out care packages